Sunday, February 27, 2011

What Colors Make Mustard Yellow

my health.

"Again I present a discussion of the resident fireproof year 2 (Arleen, which you already know from previous entry) with which I have the pleasure of traveling in these years of mutual training. In this case poses a dilemma, although rarely gives us, gives us enormous ethical conflicts. "
vertigo accompanied by vomiting
persistent that they had not given intravenous metoclopramide were the symptoms for which was derived from the PCES (Emergency Department of Primary Care) to the hospital where I do my guards. It was the early months of my first year resident.
Just take care of the patient, checked the back of your wallet and checked also had been administered ondansetron. I went to the box where he was and, after greeting him, I asked him how he was:
- still wrong. - a lady told me I figured, being right, that was his mother.
- Vomiting frequency decreased "she answers the second companion, but still continue ... and dizziness.
I looked at the patient, curled up on the couch, clutching a plastic bag used as a container could identify each wave of nausea due to the contradictions done with his body, but there was something else. By divine hand came to my mind a kind of preliminary in which my professor lecturing on the practical difference between the appearance of a chronic and acute ¨ The patient appears acutely ill carrying a load of 100 kilos since few hours, it appears that chronic loading takes 10 kilos for a month ... ¨.
I noticed something chronic. Maybe I was wrong but after questioning him and he deny any pathology on two occasions, I decided to investigate the hospital's medical history through the software. I had high hopes of finding something just because the patient was 30 years old but even so, I did. I found several visits to the infectious disease unit with a diagnosis of HIV.
symptoms were evolving, we move from one box to another peripheral origin of central origin. The patient, with a habit of leaving things hidden, it had informed us of the new trend of your brain to see two images instead of one detail that we learn from the second person with him.
- Ah, now the thing changes - said the Deputy supervised- I have to enter it, ask for a CT scan, is likely to be encephalitis.
When I told the patient had HIV infection, asked me out if he knew his illness. I took with apologies to the passengers and, once alone, he answered affirmatively:
- If I know, but please do not tell them.
returned to inform me and I became attached to order that he asked him whether the second person with him was his partner and, if it was, that advise the latter to inform the status of their infection.
took out to apologize to the two companions and, to confirm the suspicion, the battle began:
- You know the danger you're exposing ?
- I take care to avoid spreading .
- But it is right to tell him sooner or later he will learn . What is happening now is probably because your body can not keep out infections and these prey. With what face you'll see it when you learn, how do you think is going to react? Furthermore, what if protection fails you?
- I do not know, - I replied with a shrug but do not think that .
know the reasons that the patient could have. I do not know if it was cowardice, unconsciousness or malice on your part but I felt an enormous sadness and helplessness. Days later, I found a partner in one of the staircases inside the hospital, thanking me for the interest he took in the patient and asked me a favor:
- Doctor, do you think you can stop by the room where he is to learn and give us more details? , is that the physician is not well explained, speaking of which could be due to the lack of some vitamins but he not sure and are still investigating. - The patient remained in hiding.
- is that I am now demanding a rotation out of the hospital and it's impossible. - Do not want to lie but I knew I could do no more and did what the patient ... I hid.
rights of a person should not start when they finish the other, I think our rights should end when they start outsiders. We will not know what our illness ... okay, but we should not play with the life of another human being, just to keep our enjoyment. Life is an inalienable right, but not just mine or this or the other, but of everyone.
The grumetina.

0 comments:

Post a Comment